Thank you for your interest in donating toys for our patients.
We are always grateful to receive donated toys and gifts. We give them to kids who spend their birthdays in hospital, and at Christmas time we distribute a present to over 300 children who miss Santa at home.
Toys are also used to calm and distract children during medical procedures, so we need them all year round. In particular, we need gifts suitable for very young babies and toddlers, as well as children 11-18 years of age.
To make it easier to decide which toys are appropriate for sick kids in hospital, we've put together some guidelines and a shopping list to consider.
If you are planning a toy drive at work and would like to simplify the process of transporting the gifts from your office to the hospital, you may prefer to use our partner Simply Giving, where your colleagues can choose from the pre-approved gifts online.
Donated toys must meet the following guidelines:
- For health and safety reasons, toys must be brand new, unopened and still in manufacturers' packaging or with the tags attached
- There's no need to wrap the toy as we need to see who it's appropriate for
- We don't accept toy guns or war games
- All toys must meet Australian Safety Standards
- Toys can't have small or easily detachable parts that can be swallowed
- Toys can't have moving parts that can pinch fingers or hair
- Toys can't have dangers such as breakable glass, protrusions, or sharp edges
- We don't accept electrical, spark-producing toys because of fire regulations
- Glue or paint in craft kits must be non-toxic and non-flammable
- All DVDs and CDs need to be G or PG Rated
But don't despair—while that might seem like a lot of exclusions, here's a shopping list of toy types that are warmly welcomed because they suit a broad range of children.
For general hospital use and all age children
- Personal DVD players, iPads, iPods, digital cameras, Sony Play station console and G/PG rated games (these are used by the Hospital School)
- Movie vouchers, iTunes cards, department store or Westfield gift cards
- Cot mobiles, soft toys, musical books, musical toys, baby rattles, building blocks, Duplo, baby activity boards.Fisher-Price brand toys
- Toys manufactured as part of Thomas the Tank Engine, Peppa Pig, Sesame Street, Bob the Builder, Winnie the Pooh, The Wiggles
- Toys manufactured as part of Zelfs, Dinosaurs, Barbie, Peppa Pig, Elmo, Disney, Marvel & DC Superheroes, Hot Wheels, Skylanders, Minecraft, The Wiggles, Shrek, Toy Story, Dora the Explorer, Ben10, Giggle & Hoot, Handy Manny, Frozen, Ice Age, Madagascar, Brave, Despicable Me, Star Wars, Angry Birds, Shopkins, Dreamworks Trolls, Hatchimals, Little Live Pets My Dream Puppy
- All types of Lego including Duplo blocks, Star Wars and Ninjago
- Dress up costumes—superheroes, fairies, pirates, princesses
- Soft toys, bubble blowers, activity sets, sticker books, colouring in books with pencils, crayons, tea sets, leap pad books
- Jewellery, colouring in books and pencils, crayons, paint sets, activity sets, jigsaw puzzles, board games, card games, books
- Toys manufactured as part of Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ben 10, Meccano, Furbies
- CDs or DVDs, games for XBox, Playstation, Nintendo Wii
- Jewellery, games, hair ties, hair accessories, activity sets, tapestry kits, jewellery craft kits, sports items
- Toys manufactured as part of Delta Quest, Robosapien
- CDs, DVDs, iPods, movie vouchers, iTunes cards, department store or Westfield gift cards, small digital cameras
- Jewellery, jewellery boxes, caps, sports items, beach towels, cosmetics, bath products, activity or craft packs
- CDs, DVDs, iPods, movie vouchers, iTunes cards, Department store or Westfield gift cards